April 29
Hesston Klenk, Communications and Communities Manager for Resolution Copper, and member of the Rotary Club of Superior, gave us a project update.
Resolution Copper is owned by two companies, with Rio Tinto, headquartered in London, England, holding 55% and BHP, headquartered in Australia, holding the remaining 45%. The project is located in Superior, Arizona, which is in the Copper Triangle, the highest productive copper area in the United States. The ever increasing growth of green energy, in the form of electric cars and wind and solar power, has led to a greater demand for copper.
The project has currently spent $2 billion (40% locally and 75% in Arizona) on creating jobs (340 local out of 500 total), keeping the workforce safe and building the local economy. By mid-2020, another $80 million will have been invested in protecting the environment by cleaning up what was left behind and returning the land to a more natural state.
In order to keep employees safe, many improvements have been made, including the use of drones to check for hazards and inspect machinery, robotics for blasting and a dual egress from the mine.
For more information about the Resolution Copper Project, visit https://resolutioncopper.com.
Slate of Officers and Club Board of Directors
President-Elect Harvey Clark presented the following positions for approval by the members:
  • President: Harvey Clark
  • President-Elect: Roberta Holmes
  • Treasurer: Len LaFlesch
  • Secretary: Jay Jones
  • Past-President: Bob Benjamin
  • Director:
    • Bill Pepple - Foundation
    • Ed Shockley - Service Projects
    • Sharon Boyd - Membership
    • Aaron McDermid - Sgt-at-Arms
    • Bryant Powell - Golf Tournament Co-Chair
    • Jacquie Smith - Golf Tournament Co-Chair
    • Dr. Tracey Yamamoto - Youth Director-Interact
  • Director at large:
    • Dr. Krista Anderson
    • Elise Otero
Lee Holmes moved to approve the proposed officers and board positions. Seconded by Bryant Powell. Unanimously approved.
Harvey Clark will continue to manage programs. We are still in need of a Newsletter Editor and a Public Image team leader to address public relations, the club website and social media.